Installing Microsoft Test Professional and all its updates (KB’s, QFE’s, Service Packs, Feature Packs, etc.)
January 5, 2012 Leave a comment
Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional is a new SKU in Visual Studio 2010. The tool Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) within it is a great start but notoriously buggy as it is a first release. So when you install Test Professional you will want to make sure you get ALL the updates and service packs to eliminate a lot of the bugs. These steps are based on this post from Microsoft.
Soooo, here’s the order you should do things:
- Install the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 that was released on 4/12/2010. You can get this at msdn.com through your MSDN subscription.
- Install KB2387011
- Restart your computer
- Install Visual Studio Service Pack 1
- Restart your computer (what else did you think? )
- Install KB2581206
- Restart your computer (again for the 100 millionth time!!!)
- Optionally install KB2608743 if you’re concerned about your TFS database becoming too big with test results and that ruining your GUI experience in MTM.
You’re done!!! Hallejuah! Now go home Wait a minute!!! Did I see you sneaking out the door! You have more installing to do!! Come back over here you!
- Install Feature Pack 2. You can find it on MSDN.
- If you want to use the Firefox feature of playing back automated tests, download Firefox 3.6 here.
- Then configure it using these instructions.
Now, I’ll think about letting you go home…..